Wednesday, June 8, 2011

4 Months Post-Treatments

Can you believe it? Four months have gone by and I already feel like cancer happened ages ago. This time last year I was getting my biopsy done and just about to discover that the lump growing in my chest was actually a cancerous tumor.

I got my first follow-up CT scan done this past Monday. I'll have to get one of those about three times a year for the first couple years after my treatments. The worst part of that is just drinking the barium sulfate liquid that coats my intestines. Don't let the flavored "smoothie" fool you. My GOD those are disgusting! I had the vanilla flavored one this time, which was a tad better than the mocha flavored one I spoke about earlier on in this blog (for those of you who have followed this all the way though, remember "mocha flavored semen"?).

Things post-treatment have been pretty good so far. My hair is growing back in slowly but it's been fun rocking a little pixie cut! It's finally at a length that is starting to look a little shaggy. It's been difficult adjusting to having short hair, but it definitely beats having none at all! And I don't need to wear a wig anymore in order to feel normal. I can't complain about that option - it's 95 degrees in New York City right now and even the thought of me wearing a wig makes me sweat! But the short hair is kind of cute, right? Check me out in my hospital garb to the right a couple of days ago...

Aside from the hair, it's been a process just getting back into the daily swing of normal life. Working full steam and paying all my medical bills and trying to answer that questions of "what's next?" is tough after such a long battle with Alice. I'm finally on my own ready (and strong enough) to take on new challenges, but it's a little daunting! But let's be real - I can do it, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment