Monday, June 28, 2010

Hi there. I have cancer.

I never really knew how people reacted when they were told they had cancer. I never thought that someone would be telling me I had cancer, either. And especially not when I was only 22 years old.

But last week on June 22, 2010 - just five weeks after graduating with my master's degree - my doctor informed me that a recent CT scan revealed that I had a "large, cancerous growth" in my left chest cavity.

(Photo: Overjoyed to graduate with my master's degree in May. A couple weeks later I would find out I had cancer.)

Whippity-freakin-hoo.

Right around my graduation I noticed a lump growing in my chest, right under my collar bone. I called it my third boob (and even named her!). I went to the doctor to check it out, not thinking it was anything serious, but that visit led to a slew of x-rays and tests and a biopsy that revealed the unthinkable: stage II Hodgkin's Disease.

(Photo: Me in a sexayyy potato sack of a hospital gown about to get one of many x-rays of my lump.)

The day of my diagnosis was spent crying and feeling sorry for myself. I left the doctor's office like a negative Nancy and walked around Central Park for several hours, blank, sad, thinking about everything from how I was supposed to tell my family to thoughts of losing my hair. What caused this? How am I going to get through this? Am I going to die?

But alas! I quickly pulled myself together and realized that feeling sorry for myself was not going to change the fact that I had cancer. I WAS going to get through this. So I snapped back into my sunny disposition and looked at the positives: I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma, which is known to be one of the most treatable forms of cancer out there with more than 90 percent survival rate. The odds were in my favor. Yes, I was young, but at my age, getting through chemotherapy would be much easier than if I were in my 40s or 50s. Had to think positively, right?

The worst part of it all was the thought of telling my loved ones. I've always been somewhat stoic in nature; anyone who knows me knows that I have been through a lot of emotional situations over the years, and I have slowly become immune to feelings. But I still knew my diagnosis would be hard on the people who loved me the most. And I had to tell them.

So I started by telling my grandparents, my brother, my best friends. And then I told them to pass along the message to mutual friends and extended family members. This was the easiest way for me because there's really no way to tell people you know, but aren't SUPER close to, that you have cancer. "Hi Suzy. I haven't talked to you in two months, but it's nice to see you at this party! Sooooo.... guess what? I have cancer!" Ummm yeah, no.

(Photo: Right after my biopsy, which revealed that I had Hodgkin's. And it left a yummy scar for memories!)

The "word of mouth" factor really helped me out a lot. And for those who it didn't reach, I have this handy-dandy blog!

The reaction was different from everyone: some people offered prayers, some were apologetic and said they were sorry I had to go through this, some broke down in tears, some praised my strength and courage, some got mad I hadn't told them earlier. But through everyone I told, everyone gave me their support. Everyone offered to help, and everyone has been there for me.

Some people who I hadn't talked to in months and years suddenly reached out to check on me. Funny how major news re-ignites old friendships, or strengthens current ones. But I'm beyond thankful for the amazing support system my friends, family, and acquaintances have given me. As a good friend put it to me yesterday, I'm "lucky in my unluckiness." And I am in many ways :)

S0 here goes my blog about my journey! Check back in here for updates on my progress and experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment